Programme Operations Intern (1 Post) - Turkana County
Lodwar, Turkana County, Kenya
Mary’s Meals (MM) is a global movement supported by people from all walks of life and we are focused on one goal – that every child receives a nutritious daily meal in a place of education. We continue to change the lives of over 2 million children who today will receive Mary’s Meals. We offer more than just a job; we offer the opportunity to support our global movement in a dynamic and inclusive environment with a real focus on personal development. Mary’s Meals Kenya (MMK) operates a Primary School and Early Childhood Development centre feeding programme in Kenya. Some of our core values are Confidence in the innate goodness of people, Respecting the dignity of every human being and family life, and good stewardship of resources entrusted to us.
In addition to these values, safeguarding of children and vulnerable adults is at the heart of how we work. We desire that all who are part of Mary’s Meals should embed our 3 values, Simplicity, Service, and Stewardship”.
Applications are invited from qualified and experienced candidates for the below post:
Programme Operations Intern (1 Post) – Turkana County
We are delighted to be recruiting a talented Intern to join our team in Lodwar, Turkana County in Kenya. The intern will provide support in the smooth running and management of fleet, logistics, warehouse operations, and vendors, under the guidance of the Programme Operations Lead.
Key duties & responsibilities for the role include:
- Maintain record of training of MMK drivers and riders in liaison with the Learning and Development Officer.
- Follow up on driving staff adherence after training on key processes and procedures.
- Track expiry of insurance covers and driving licenses and follow up on renewals.
- Support in issuance of vehicle keys, ID tags, and fuel cards and keeping updated records.
- Inspect MMK vehicle cleanliness before and after journeys and prepare reports.
- Maintain and update all fuel and maintenance transaction documents.
- Fill out insurance claim forms and follow-up on claims reporting.
- Analyze fuel transactions and repairs at least monthly.
- Coordinate requests for vehicle maintenance and preparation of job cards.
- Help in vehicle assignments/allocation to facilitate movement plans.
- Maintain database of contracts for all service providers in transport and related operation functions.
- Assist drivers in completing DVIRs.
- Liaise and coordinate with other departments on their transportation needs.
- Organize transportation for visitors, including transport to and from the airport, MM Offices, schools, etc.
- Track & schedule routine maintenance for vehicles per manufacturer guidelines.
- Support the inspection of vehicles post-service to ensure they have been serviced according to manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Inspect MMK vehicles to confirm that required documents e.g., insurance, COF, etc. are displayed appropriately and are retrievable.
- Assist in measuring the performance of various service providers. supervisor.
- Any other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
Fleet Management and Compliance
- Learn, understand and apply MMI Fleet Manual, SOPs, and local driving laws in supporting compliance.
- Learn, understand and utilize FMS & GEOTAB software in supporting fleet operations.
- Utilize FMS reminders to share and schedule routine activities (e.g., vehicle service).
- Timely enter accurate data into the FMS as required by the Fleet Manual.
- Support in preparation of monthly reports and variance analysis on vehicle usage and fuel consumption.
Warehouse Management and Compliance
- Help in maintaining a clean, orderly and safe warehouse in line with MMK policies and procedures.
- Maintain detailed and accurate records of receipt, storage and timely dispatch of stocks to schools.
- Support in coordinating hired casual labour to carry out warehouse operations and review of invoices.
- Assist in monthly physical counts, reconciling of variances and updating of records.
- Support in receiving and dispatching of stocks based on approved plans and in compliance with SOPs.
- Collaborate with internal and external stakeholders to deliver coherent warehouse operations.
- Any other responsibility as assigned from time to time.
Essential qualifications, skills, and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Procurement and Logistics Management or Commerce, Business Management or Administration with an International Diploma in Logistics and Transport.
- A citizen of Kenya.
- A recent Graduate having graduated no earlier than 2021 from a recognized University.
- Strong commitment to Mary’s Meals vision, mission, and values.
- Practical knowledge of Microsoft Office, particularly Excel & Word
- Strong communication skills and cultural sensitivity with an ability to work well with a wide range of people.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to focus on and prioritize key tasks and effectively drive forward and implement agreed actions.
- Well-developed, interpersonal skills, with the ability to network widely, persuade and influence others.
- Ability to learn quickly and work independently, under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Ability to think critically, analyze complex information and supply practical and effective solutions.
- Highly resilient, self-reliant, motivated, and highly attentive to detail.
- Proactive, flexible and results-driven approach
Desirable qualifications, skills, and experience:
- Possessing a clean valid BCE driving license will be an advantage
- Previous experience in warehouse and logistics management role is a plus.
This is a fantastic role where you combine learning and daily work that has a real impact. If you are looking for more from your role and our mission, vision, and values resonate with you, then we would love to hear from you.
Applications stating the expected stipend and CV (including contacts for three referees) should be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating the position title and applicant’s name in the subject line. All attached files should be saved under the applicant's name.
The deadline for receipt of applications is Tuesday, 26th September 2023 at 16:30 hours. Early application is encouraged as we will review applications on a rolling basis. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Mary’s Meals never asks candidates to pay any money or pay for tests at any stage of the interview process.